After two very successful series of Early Buddhism workshops previously, starting with EARLY BUDDHISM and followed by KAMMA and REBIRTH in EARLY BUDDHISM, BSWA will be introducing a new series in Dhammaloka after the rains, focusing on the Buddha’s teaching on DEPENDENT ORIGINATION.
We are pleased to have Bhante Sujato and Ajahn Brahmali back to conduct the workshops. Venerable Sunyo has also been invited to lead the workshop with Ajahn Brahmali.
The plan is for the workshops to happen over 6 consecutive Saturdays with the tentative schedule as follows:
|I||31 Oct 2020|
|II||07 Nov 2020|
|III||14 Nov 2020|
|IV||21 Nov 2020|
|V||28 Nov 2020|
|VI||05 Dec 2020|
Each workshop’s lesson plan is as follows:
|08:30 – 10:30||Session 1|
|10:30 – 12:00||Lunch|
|12:00 – 14:00||Session 2|
|14:00 – 15:00||Afternoon break|
|15:00 – 17:00||Session 3|
Here is a preliminary list of topics to be covered:
- How dependent origination (DO) fits in with the rest of the Dhamma, especially the second and third Noble Truths.
- The special purpose of DO: why did the Buddha teach it?
- An initial overview of the twelve links and understanding DO causality.
- that DO is a one-life model;
- that DO is both a one-life and a multi-life model;
- that DO is equivalent to the perceptual process (MN18);
- that DO (rebirth) requires a permanent self;
- that you ca break DO at the link between feeling and craving;
- that DO means everything is interconnected.
- The antecedents of DO in Vedic literature.
- DO in the Abhidhamma and other schools of Buddhism, including Nagarjuna’s understanding.
- A detailed analysis of all the links of DO. This will constitute the main aspect of the course.
- Practical applications of DO, with a focus on the Mahāniddāna Sutta (DN 15) and the Mahātaṇhāsaṅkhaya Sutta (MN 38).
- Different versions of DO: 12 factors, 10 factors, etc..
- How DO is presented in a variety of suttas, especially in the Nidāna-saṃyutta.
We will be sending out materials for pre-reading. They will include:
- “The Great Discourse on Causation”, DN 15.
- “The Longer Discourses on the Ending of Craving”, MN 38.
- “Sectarian Tenets”, AN 3.61.
- “The Linked Discourses on Causation”, SN 12, (discourses 1 to 70)
- General expositions of Dependent Origination:
- Dependent Origination, by Ven. Piyadassi.
- Dependent Origination, by Ajahn Brahmali.
- The Greater Discourse on Causation, by Bhikkhu Bodhi.
In order to get the most out of these workshops, we ask that you:
- Are committed to attend all the 6 workshops.
- Spend time to pre-read the materials provided to you prior to the start of each workshop.
We plan to live stream all the workshops so we can share the gift of the Dhamma on a real time basis with the world, wherever you might be.
In the weeks to come, we will provide a link for those who are interested to attend to make their booking.
Lay Har Goh