Staying for the Rains (Vassa) 2019 at Jhana Grove
There is a high demand for places to stay for the 3 month Rains Retreat at Jhana Grove 2020 though only 15 rooms are available.
Note: There are no more places for guests to stay for the three months of the 2019 Rains Retreats.
If you wish to stay for the entire 3 months of the Rains Retreat at Jhana Grove Retreat Centre you must be personally known to Ajahn Brahm and should meet the following criteria:
- Applicants should be Buddhist, and a member of the BSWA if living locally
- Applicants should have completed at least one 9 day Buddhist retreat with Ajahn Brahm, and preferably have a daily meditation routine. There is no formal meditation teaching program at the monastery or Jhana Grove, so one must be able to meditate independently.
- Applicants should be in good physical and mental health.
- Guests are required to keep the 8 precepts (see below) and respect the retreat centre rules while in the monastery.
- Guests are encouraged to contribute a donation towards the running costs of the retreat centre, estimated at AUD $ 30 per day.
- Applications must be made a full year in advance – for the 2020 Rains Retreat the opening date for applications is Wednesday 17th July 2019 (the day after Asalha Puja). Please do not make an application unless you are an experienced meditator and are 99% sure that you are able to come, as many cancellations cause difficulty for others.
Places to stay are allocated on a first come, first served basis providing that they fulfill all the above criteria.
Applications must be made on 17th July 2019. The spaces will likely be filled within hours.
- Via email to the guest monk:
Email must be sent on Wednesday 17th July no earlier than 6.30 am (Perth time – GMT + 8hrs). The time stamp will be checked and the email moved to the bottom of the queue if the email was sent earlier than the opening time.
- By phoning the monastery (+61 (0) 8 9525 2420) between 6.30 and 7.15am or 6 and 7pm (Perth time – GMT + 8hrs)
- Please note there is a queue so try to apply as soon as possible within the time frame given.
The Eight Precepts
- To refrain from intentionally taking the life of any living creature.
- To refrain from taking what is not given.
- To refrain from any sexual activity: no physical contact or intimacy with the opposite sex.
- To refrain from dishonest speech.
- To refrain from using alcohol or non-medicinal drugs. (Smoking is banned in the monastery).
- * To refrain from eating after noon. (Non-milk drinks, juice, sweets, sugar & honey are allowable).
- To refrain from dancing, singing, playing music, and wearing cosmetics, perfume, and jewellery.
- To refrain from using luxurious beds and seats.
* If you are staying at Jhana Grove, this precept is relaxed so as to allow soy milk and cheese after noon.