Vassa (Rains Retreat) : 27 July – 24 October 2018
Vassa is a beautiful and quiet time of practice, with minimal interaction. Day visitors are welcomed to offer Dana. During the lunch ceremony at 10:30am, there will be a short group meditation session.
If you wish to stay during the Rains Retreat at Dhammasara you must be personally known to the monastery and should meet the following criteria:
- Minimum stay is 1 month.
- Applicants should have completed 2 nine days retreat by BSWA.
- Applicants should be Buddhist, and a member of the BSWA if living locally.
- There is no formal meditation teaching program at the monastery. Applicants should be able to meditate independently, live in solitude and observe noble silence with very little interaction.
- Applicants should be in good physical and mental health.
- Applicants must have sufficient funds to support their personal needs and medication, including onward travel.
- Guests are expected to participate in assigned duties eg. Food preparation, cleaning and sweeping.
- Guests are required to keep the 8 precepts and respect the monastery rules.
- For overseas guests, please ensure you have valid Australian Visa and adequate Medical Insurance coverage when staying in the monastery, as medical cost is very expensive in Australia.
- Please only apply if you are an experienced meditator and is 99% sure that you are able to come, as many cancellations cause difficulty for others.
- Please read and understand the information page for visitors.
- Check in time: 10am
- The climate during Vassa months is generally cold and wet. Please bring adequate clothing, raingear and proper footwear for walking in the forest environment.
- Trips to Bodhinyana are for monastics. If you would like to attend regular Dhamma Talk or Sutta classes there, we recommend you apply to stay at Jhana Grove or Bodhinyana Monastery.
Guest who don’t wish to leave your car in the open car park for extended period, please arrange to be dropped off at the monastery.
- Monastery Internet usage is restricted. If you have your own data plan, there is limited mobile coverage.