Buddhists for rohingyas

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buddhists for rohingyas

As I have not seen any Buddhist shout outs to my fellow humans the Rohingyas, I am posting it out here. It just amazes me how we can turn a blind eye to what is happening in Myanmar. Very embarrassing and outright shameful. Although I am not a part of what is happening there I feel hypocritical being that we Buddhists say "sukhi hotu" yet there's only been a few Buddhists who have said anything about the disaster there. Where are the real Buddhists?

Although this post may not mean anything, at least I have added a name to the list of the few Buddhists who are concerned.

with añjali and karunā,
    russ

Originally posted by James Taeza View Post
    As I have not seen any Buddhist shout outs to my fellow humans the Rohingyas, I am posting it out here. It just amazes me how we can turn a blind eye to what is happening in Myanmar. Very embarrassing and outright shameful. Although I am not a part of what is happening there I feel hypocritical being that we Buddhists say "sukhi hotu" yet there's only been a few Buddhists who have said anything about the disaster there. Where are the real Buddhists?

Although this post may not mean anything, at least I have added a name to the list of the few Buddhists who are concerned.

with añjali and karunā,
    russ
    Good for you, Russ. Add my name to the list. I wish some of the more prominent Buddhists in the world would speak out publicly and proclaim the dhamma for what it really is - not just words, but something to be practised in life.

Comment

Originally posted by Rory Hudson View Post
      Good for you, Russ. Add my name to the list. I wish some of the more prominent Buddhists in the world would speak out publicly and proclaim the dhamma for what it really is - not just words, but something to be practised in life.
      Sadhu! Sadhu! Sadhu!

Comment

Hi Russ & Rory,

I'm not very well versed in world politics and so I don't really understand the problems in Burma and the Rohingyas, but like all other persecutions of minorities worldwide, I do find it sad (but inevitable).

Until we (humanity) can move past the idea of 'Nation State' ('Nation' being a cultural identity and 'State' being a geopolitical entity), and foster the idea of Global Citizenship, there will always be groups of people who are seen as 'outside' of the Nation State, which makes it acceptable for those 'inside' to feel that they are somehow justified in harming their others.

I think that the Buddha was thousands of years ahead of his time in suggesting that a person's worth is in accord with their intentions and not in accord with their birth (or religion, or citizenship).

So Russ, don't be embarrassed or shamed regarding the guys who are doing the harming and encouraging other to harm. Impermanence has struck and they have clearly forgotten what they had once taken refuge in. If the word 'Buddhist' is to have any meaning at all, it would be wise to consider people who harm others as ex-Buddhists or non-Buddhists, no matter what they call themselves or what colour robe they wear. This designation simply accords with their harmful intentions.

Stu
        xxx

Comment

Originally posted by Stuart Corner View Post
          Hi Russ & Rory,

I'm not very well versed in world politics and so I don't really understand the problems in Burma and the Rohingyas, but like all other persecutions of minorities worldwide, I do find it sad (but inevitable).

Until we (humanity) can move past the idea of 'Nation State' ('Nation' being a cultural identity and 'State' being a geopolitical entity), and foster the idea of Global Citizenship, there will always be groups of people who are seen as 'outside' of the Nation State, which makes it acceptable for those 'inside' to feel that they are somehow justified in harming their others.

I think that the Buddha was thousands of years ahead of his time in suggesting that a person's worth is in accord with their intentions and not in accord with their birth (or religion, or citizenship).

So Russ, don't be embarrassed or shamed regarding the guys who are doing the harming and encouraging other to harm. Impermanence has struck and they have clearly forgotten what they had once taken refuge in. If the word 'Buddhist' is to have any meaning at all, it would be wise to consider people who harm others as ex-Buddhists or non-Buddhists, no matter what they call themselves or what colour robe they wear. This designation simply accords with their harmful intentions.

Stu
          xxx
          That's all true enough, Stu, but the point, or at least my point, is that the "guys doing the harming" purport to be Buddhists, hold themselves out to the world as Buddhists, and pretend to be speaking on behalf of Buddhism. In other religions, when people behave badly, you will get leaders of the religion speaking out and saying "You don't speak for me, this is not what our religion teaches". But I don't know of any significant Buddhist teacher who has made any public statement to this effect. I feel disillusioned. Buddhism seems to be getting a bad press lately, with the media fastening on stories of violent monks in Sri Lanka, inhumanity in the treatment of asylum seekers by Myanmar and Thailand, discrimination and human rights violations by the Dalai Lama, and of course the treatment of the Rohingyas. And nobody with a public profile is ready to stand up and say, "This is not the Buddhist way. It shouldn't be happening." What is the value of the dhamma if people who say they promote the dhamma can stand by while this goes on, and say nothing?

Comment

Dear all,

Bhikkhu Bodhi is very active on this issue: https://www.facebook.com/bhikkhu.bod...:0?pnref=story

As for disproving Wirathu in Myanmar, our teacher Ajahn Brahm has already discussed this in a talk last year at Dhammaloka. I can't remember the title of the talk.

Comment

Thanks Rory. I had no idea about the controversy surrounding the Dalai Lama.

In order to educate myself a little in this area I've been reading around the various problems in muslim/buddhist relationships.

I found this blog interesting. http://blogs.prio.org/2015/05/the-bu...s-intolerance/

There is some light, especially here http://www.inebnetwork.org/ineb/home...t-march-4-2015

Stu
              xxx

Comment

Hi Russ,

I have found this from a few years ago.

http://www.tricycle.com/blog/world-b...uslims-myanmar

Maybe it needs repeating now.

Stu
                xxx

Comment

Thank you Stu and Dheerayupa. These links are interesting and encouraging. Maybe the problem is the media is not picking up on what Buddhist leaders are saying.

Comment

Originally posted by Stuart Corner View Post
                    Hi Russ,

I have found this from a few years ago.

http://www.tricycle.com/blog/world-b...uslims-myanmar

Maybe it needs repeating now.

Stu
                    xxx
                    Dear Stu,

Thank you very much for the link And yes, it is worth repeating!!!

with anjali and metta,
                    russ

Comment

Originally posted by Dheerayupa Sukonthapanthu View Post
                      Dear all,

Bhikkhu Bodhi is very active on this issue: https://www.facebook.com/bhikkhu.bod...:0?pnref=story

As for disproving Wirathu in Myanmar, our teacher Ajahn Brahm has already discussed this in a talk last year at Dhammaloka. I can't remember the title of the talk.

Dear Dheera,

Thank you very much for sharing the link

with anjali and metta,
                      russ

Comment

Actually I see that Bhante Sujato's article in the Bangkok Post is referenced on our front page: http://www.bangkokpost.com/opinion/o...uddhist-voices - an excellent article IMHO.

Comment

Working...
                        X

Debug Information