Comments on Bhikkhu Bodhi’s Paper: “Transcendental Dependent Arising"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments on Bhikkhu Bodhi’s Paper: “Transcendental Dependent Arising"

This was one of the readings for Workshop 4 in the Early Buddhist Workshop series.

I was totally blown away by the Upanisa Sutta and Bhikkhu Bodhi’s exposition on it, but is it as simple as it seems?

The sutta says that ‘ignorance’ is the cause for ‘kamma formations’ which are in turn the cause for ‘consciousness’ and so in the usual way explained in so many suttas and what we commonly know as “Dependent Origination”. But this sutta goes further. It says that ‘suffering’ is the cause for ‘faith’ which is in turn the cause for ‘joy’, up to ‘knowledge of destruction of the cankers’, as follows:

Ignorance (avijja)
    Kamma formations (sankhara)
    Consciousness (viññana)
    Mentality-materiality (namarupa)
    Sixfold sense base (salayatana)
    Contact (phassa)
    Feeling (vedana)
    Craving (tanha)
    Clinging (upadana)
    Existence (bhava)
    Birth (jati)
    Suffering (dukkha)
    Faith (saddha)
    Joy (pamojja)
    Rapture (piti)
    Tranquillity (passaddhi)
    Happiness (sukha)
    Concentration (samadhi)
    Knowledge and vision of things as they are (yathabhutañanadassana)
    Disenchantment (nibbida)
    Dispassion (viraga)
    Emancipation (vimutti)
    Knowledge of destruction of the cankers (asavakkhaye ñana)

Based upon this reasoning, everyone is bound for ‘knowledge of destruction of the cankers’, for everyone (except for Arahants) have ignorance and suffering. But is this an over-simplistic view?

Dear Stuart,

The causality starting from suffering is different. There is a talk by Ajahn Brahmali Transcendental Dependent Origination and at the end during Q & A session Ajahn explains what is the difference.

With metta,
    Rudite

Comment

Hi Rudita. I have read that paper (quite some time ago), however, what I was pointing to was the (incredible) fact that, as it states in Bhikkhu Bodhi's paper:

"Suffering is the supporting condition for faith".

The reason I find this incredible is because all sentient beings suffer, therefore, all sentient beings have the necessary cause for faith, and therefore, for joy, rapture, up to knowledge of the destruction of the cankers.

Suffering is a cause for enlightenment. It just seems counter-intuitive but sobering just the same!

Metta
      Stuart

Comment

The reason I find this incredible is because all sentient beings suffer, therefore, all sentient beings have the necessary supporting condition for faith, and therefore, for joy, rapture, up to knowledge of the destruction of the cankers.

Suffering is a supporting condition for enlightenment! It just seems counter-intuitive but it is amazing too.

Comment

It is similar to a Sutta class Ajahn Brahm gave earlier this year, explaining how the root cause for Nibbana was being around the Sangha and hearing the good Dhamma. That's it. That is the cause, the effect happens which is the cause for the next stage of development, up to enlightenment. There is no control just causes and effects..a process (ie, the Noble 8 Fold Path) that, if you become part of, you will necessarily get 'caught up' in...enlightenment will happen whether you like it or not, we will have no one else to blame except for ourselves for our own happiness !!

Comment

For some reason the link to Ajahn Brahmali's talk didnt work for me, but its an excellent talk so i will post the youtube link for it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMx6kdJ0608

Comment

Just ran into Ajahn Bramali's article and this thread.
              http://community.dhammaloka.org.au/c...endent-Arising

While everyone experienced some form of suffering, it is a long way from "completely and thoroughly" understand DUKKHA, the First Noble Truth.

Thank you for listing the causative link from "avijja" to "asavakkhaye ñana" in the Upanisa Sutta, SN 12.23.
              There is a Pali term "anupassanā" - The seven contemplation's:

(1) Contemplating (formations) as impermanent, one abandons the perception of permanence.
              (2) Contemplating (them) as painful, one abandons the perception of happiness (to be found in them).
              (3) Contemplating (them) as not self, one abandons the perception of self.
              (4) Becoming dispassionate, one abandons delighting.
              (5) Causing fading away, one abandons greed.
              (6) Causing cessation, one abandons originating.
              (7) Relinquishing, one abandons grasping"

Some of the 7 contemplations are found in the Upanisa Sutta sequence, but not all.
              Also, take for example the Four Conditions for Stream-Entry. There is no mention of all four conditions in the Upanisa Sutta either, e.g. yoniso-manasikāra was not listed. The formulations might look different, but they follow the same overall principle of the Four Noble Truths and is a cohesive system of teaching.

Comment

Working...
              X

Debug Information