Daily Verse... Daily realizations

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daily Verse... Daily realizations

I know i am new to this group, but if the teachings are correct we are all one and we have all met many times in previous lives. I know there are many books and fantastic teachings which benefit us all, but one thing that inspires me most and also is an aid in realizations are verses. But not only the verse but also what they mean to us. I will approach this to share something if others also wish to join in then i think it will enrich us all. I will post a verse and then briefly speak about what it means to me. Its something like a spiritual exercise and writing can also help us to clarify our thoughts on the subject or meaning, and hopefully deepen our meditations.

People naturally fear misfortune and long for good fortune, but if the distinction is carefully studied, misfortune often turns out to be good fortune and good fortune to be misfortune. The wise man learns to meet the changing circumstances of life with an equitable spirit, being neither elated by success nor depressed by failure.

~ Gautama Buddha

This verse is very important for me. When i came to the teachings i would say that i was more or less burned out in life and i was only 19

Through suffering i have certainly found a much more beautiful life in spiritual life. The Buddha's first teaching that there is dukkha or unsatisfactoriness, but through his and others wisdom and skill in how they approach Dukkha then that dissatisfaction has become the force that has helped me to grow spiritually. Suffering is not what it seems all the time and can be our greatest friend, although we never wish suffering upon another

Also having a balanced mind between happiness and distress is worthy of cultivation and both experiences are passing, although i have a long way to go i know that once we understand the passing nature of both happiness and distress, illuminations and disturbances then we will become very strong minded.

This verse really gave me hope today, and i thought i would share it.

Comment

What a lovely quote, and you have explained it so well, that even I can understand it.

Thankyou

M

Comment

Sadhu! Sadhu! SAAADHU! Thank you very much for sharing!

Anjali and metta,
        Russell

Comment

Great idea Mark:

"All things are rooted in desire, they come into actual existence through attention".
          -- AN X.58 (about half way down)

I love this quote because it reminds me again and again that this world is made piece by piece by what I pay attention to. I can either be walking down the road and attend to the 'disgraceful dog mess' that someone has left there, or I can attend to the beautiful rose bush in the garden. Better still, I can turn away from the outside world and attend to internal mind-states and really get to know who I am.

The first part reminds me that without desire as 'soil' for attention 'all things' just wither away. Such a peaceful teaching, and it's just the start of it.

Stuart
          xxx

Comment

I like it. That's all I can say!

Comment

If you really see uncertainty clearly, you will see that which is certain. The certainty is that things must inevitably be uncertain and that they cannot be otherwise. Do you understand? Knowing just this much, you can know the Buddha, you can rightly do reverence to him.

~ Ajahn Chah ~

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Leigh View Post
                If you really see uncertainty clearly, you will see that which is certain. The certainty is that things must inevitably be uncertain and that they cannot be otherwise. Do you understand? Knowing just this much, you can know the Buddha, you can rightly do reverence to him.

~ Ajahn Chah ~
                I love the way Ajahn Chah uses 'uncertain' instead of the usual terms like 'impermanent' or 'transitory' and such-like. So direct. We all know when we are uncertain, and when we think we are 'certain' - only to later find out that circumstances have changed or our knowledge becomes greater (or weaker) and then we realise that we were not correct to call ourselves 'certain' after all.

All these discussions on these boards where we hold strong views, even if they are 'Buddhist' views - all of that is uncertain too.

Stuart
                xxx

Comment

Ajahn Cha is what i call profoundly simple. With a few words he can cut the illusions. And thats what we are living a pure illusion. Its like the laughing Budhhas of China who have seen into emptiness and have the transcendental laugh of compassion and joy because the world is just passing by in constant flux.

Comment

Whatever IS will be WAS.

— Bhikkhu Ñanamoli

Comment

I yearned for certainty so much, more than anything I wanted to be able to know that everything would be alright, that I would be safe "in samsara". But then don't all Buddhists want this? Isn't the certainty we are seeking just another word for stream-entry, once-returner, non-returner or Arahant? And then the irony is that certainty is only 'attainable' when we realise that all is uncertain...except for the deathless.

Comment

"But the fragrance of virtue
                        Travels even against the wind,
                        As far as the ends of the world."

I like this verse today. I don't think it needs much explanation. Lately I find that people are also naturally attracted to virtuous people, even if they don't know them.
                        Also this is a good idea for a thread. Well done!

Metta to all of you.

Daniel.

Comment

If my mind doesn’t go out to disturb the noise,
                          the noise won’t disturb me.

~Ajahn Chah~

Comment

“Peace. It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart. ”

Source unkown.

Comment

"For greater than all the joys
                              Of heaven and earth,
                              Greater still and than dominion
                              Over all the worlds,
                              Is the joy of reaching the stream."

~Dhammapada - Yourself

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information