Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it wrong to gift alcohol to non-Buddhists?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You're right about not getting to caught in terms Daniel, it's all just empty labels on empty objects, and for those practitioners who have been at this path a little time, this language may be appropriate. However, for the newbies amongst us, I would suggest that 'intention' is a 'technical term' in Buddhism thanks to the early (English) translators of the Pali Canon, and maybe it pays to be a little clear in ones mind as to what what it means. After all, it is specifically Kamma that we use to bring about Awakening. There are other religions (e.g. Jainism) that define Kamma as 'action', but the Buddha specifically suggested that this was not the case and that this view did not lead to Awakening.

I would also take this opportunity to suggest that from a Buddhist perspective a 'basic thought' does not necessarily generate Kamma and 'thoughts' are external to the mind, in the same way that a sights are external to the eye.

Stuart
    xxx

Comment

How are thoughts external to the mind, I'm unfamiliar with this approach. Do you mean thoughts that are unintentional?

But I'm guessing that if you pick up a negative thought and nurture it, it will generate Kamma right?

Comment

Hi Daniel,

I'm a little surprised that you're unfamiliar with this concept. The mind as the sixth sense is all over the Suttas. Try MN148 - The Chachakka Sutta - In particular:

5. (ii) “‘The six external bases should be understood.’ So it was said. And with reference to what was this said? There are the form-base, the sound-base, the odour-base, the flavour-base, the tangible-base, and the mind-object-base. So it was with reference to this that it was said: ‘The six external bases should be understood. ’ This is the second set of six.
        There is a fantastic sense of liberation when one no longer associates thoughts with the one who knows the thoughts (or sights, sounds, smells, tastes and tangibles).

Yes, your 'guess' is (sort of) correct. If you see some dog shit in the street but you don't pick it up and play with it, then you will not get dirty. In the same way, if you don't pick up and play with (nurture) a negative thought then you also will not get dirty. As I understand it, that 'nurturing' of yours is where the 'plan of action', 'intention', kamma is made. Seeing a negative (or positive) thought with the mind, by itself, generates no kamma.

Thank-you for letting me explore this on your thread.

Stuart
        xxx

Comment

Haven't stumbled upon the six external bases yet. Ahh, there was a book I was supposed to read with all numbers of Buddhism... I should get back to that.

It does make perfect sense though. I've always treated the mind as a composite of memories, feelings, sensations and cognition (4/5 agregates) ... I knew it wasn't "mine" and I knew I didn't have complete control. This is not completly new to me, but it does make the puzzle pieces fit better. Thank you for that.

Metta,
          Daniel

Comment

You're welcome Daniel. I found this wiki page and it is not too bad. I especially like figure 1.

Stuart
            xxx

Comment

Working...
            X

Debug Information