Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• metta meditation barrier

Dear Bhante,

sure enough i have another question I quite like metta meditation, but i have found lately, that i am banging my head against a "wall" . it doesnt feel very open and flowing when i do meditate. The barrier seems to be a sense of fear i suppose, (i am not too sure if thats the right word), but its definitely got tones of frustration and self protection i guess. what it seems to be is this thought process, that tells me, if i keep opening up and generating loving kindness (or at least trying to), id be a sap/ door mat to people/ common sense in dealing with people would leave me and id always try to be kind when firmness is needed / people dont do this sort of opening up, i am just giving too much of myself in to this etc

now, i have heard metta associated with fearlessness, but i havent found article or talk on that particular focus. any advice in figuring out this mental block is much appreciated!

regards
    Kindu

Dear Kindu,

I have to admit, I don't do a lot of formal metta meditation - that is, forming thoughts such as "May Kindu be happy. May Kindu be free from suffering". But actually, as I practice right intention, the metta comes up anyhow. It is mixed with joy and sometimes spontaneous laughter. So don't try and force it. Recognise that metta is in your best interests as much as others, so there is no question of becoming a door mat. That feeling or emotion of metta that arises with the path is actually opposed to being downtrodden.

A mind of metta is much like the lotus, you piss on it or douse it in Channel No. 5 and it rolls right off and the lotus just smells like lotus.

Hope this helps,

J.R.

Comment

thank you bhante for your reply. got a couple more questions
      could you elaborate on right intention- i.e. how do you practice that in terms of interactions with people / in the relational sphere. what do you do ?
      and.. do you know of any simple articles on metta and fearlessness ? im quite keen to read on that.

thanks
      Kindu

Comment

Dear Kindu,

My practice of intention is fairly simple. I try to be aware of what is going on in my mind. Am I being kind or angry? Am I being gentle or cruel? Am I getting into craving or do I let things go? If it is a good intention I let it be, if it is a bad intention I recognise with wisdom that this is for my harm and for the harm of others. When we see this clearly, it is easy to cultivate the good intentions and abandon the bad intentions.

Hope this helps!

J.R.

Comment

Working...
        X

Debug Information