Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arranging a meeting with Ajahn Sumano

Dear monastics,

(This is a rather private question, I think. If you find this thread inappropriate to be published for everyone, I would like to ask you to please answer me via Private Message. If you don't find it inappropriate and think that maybe others may benefit from it you can of course publish it. But in that case please delete these lines. :-) )

Next January I will travel to Thailand. Apart from hopefully being able to stay at Wat Pah Nanachat for one week, I would like to take the opportunity (if that opportunity is available) to pay Ajahn Sumano a visit. He is a Western monk, as far as I know the first Westerner who had ordained under Ajahn Chah.
    I have seen Dhamma talks of him on the internet and read books of him. I got a huge amount of inspiration of him, which is why I am extremely curious to meet him in person. I would gladly like to pay him a visit in order to express my appreciation and gratitude to him, and maybe to have a good discussion with him about the Dhamma.

However, I'm absolutely unsure about where he is staying these days. In the internet I found his website in Thai/English, but there I found no address (perhaps I didn't see it because I can't read Thai). I found a blog in the internet that had an entry about two travelers visiting him in a small living quarters in Pak Chong, Thailand.

Now I am not sure how I can find out where he is staying.
    Also, I am not at all familiar with the way how such forest monks are available to visitors.
    Is it possible to just come and visit him, or should one or does one have to write a letter beforehand?

I couldn't find any further information on the internet, so I thought I'd ask here whether you can give me any advise on what I have to do to arrange such a meeting with Ajahn Sumano, even if only for a couple of hours on an afternoon/evening?
    Is that possible? Or do you even happen to know this monk? If yes, can you tell me where he is staying these days?

I would be most grateful for any advice you can give me. :-)

Yours sincerely,
    Michael

Dear Michael,

You are mixing up Ajahn Sumedho with Ajahn Sumano. It is Ajahn Sumedho who is the first Western disciple of Ajahn Chah, not Ajahn Sumano. I am not sure which one of them has inspired you, but Ajahn Sumedho is by far the more famous of the two. Ajahn Sumedho has recently been staying in a small monastery called Wat Ratanawan in the Northeast of Thailand. I am not sure if he is still there, but if he is it would normally be possible to visit him. The best thing to do is to contact Wat Pa Nanachat and ask them for more information.

If it really is Ajahn Sumano you are after, I am not sure I can help you. Perhaps you could try leaving a message on the blog you are referring to.

With metta.

Comment

Working...
    X

Debug Information