Dukkha

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dear guy
    I once had a medical condition that gave me severe depression symptoms.

You might want to see your dr to rule out a physical problem.

Comment

Dear Sylvester,

You may also want to have look at AN5:161 and AN5:162.

With metta.

Comment

Originally posted by Erin Wells View Post
        dear guy
        I once had a medical condition that gave me severe depression symptoms.

You might want to see your dr to rule out a physical problem.
        Thanks Erin, but I don't have a doctor.

Comment

This is a very uplifting and helpful thread. I would echo Ajahn Brahmali's comments about reflecting on anatta. I have found that contemplation of one or more of the three marks of existence usually dispels any suffering, of any type, from the minor or fleeting to the major or recurring, from the mind. (And, for me, anatta seems to be the most effective, overall.) This takes practice and study (mainly practice), though, to contemplate these things with the one-pointedness necessary for them to release the mind for any period of time.

Guy...I too have experienced both ordinary depression and the spiritual pain or yearning of which you talk about. The ordinary depression will go away first (I assure you it will), and eventually, with serious commitment to the practice (which Ajahn Brahmali refers to), the spiritual pain or yearning will be counteracted by spiritual bliss. The more you practice, the more this bliss will grow in ratio to the yearning, until the culmination of the path is realized at the shores of Nibbana.

To a stream-enterer, arahantship seems quite reachable. To a stream-enterer, stream-entry seems like a miracle. Take care of yourself, as Kris advises, but this must include nurturing your wisdom, however developed/undeveloped it may be. This is important, as it is the only way to eventually seeing the light at the end of the tunnel (which is not a train coming your way). It is safe to crave the Dhamma. It's safe to escape in the Dhamma. On a virtually daily basis, I reorient myself each evening in maximal possible alignment with the Dhamma, through many approaches including involvement (mainly readership) on this forum, and this strengthens my mind to the point that, no matter how stressful my day was, I feel easily ready to face the next day. With enough wisdom, although suffering will continue its siege, you'll be able to hold it off more easily or, at least, force it to retreat (more easily). Expect to dip in and out of delusion regularly (and therefore suffering), but you can prevent yourself from getting completely lost in it. You can be renewed constantly. This will strengthen your spiritual confidence and resolve, and creates the causes/conditions for further progress and eventual liberation. Seeing this progress is cause for joy. Knowing this progress is possible in the here and now is reason for hope and inspiration/motivation. Your depression is impermanent like everything else - know that you can make this the last time and use your present pain as a cause for future liberation.

With metta to you, Guy, and everyone else here. May you all be freed from suffering once and for all.

**I take full responsibility for any errors in my explication, which is based primarily on personal experience (experienced with imperfect perception), and would ask for forgiveness and correction from any here who can see more than me.**

Comment

Dear Bhante

Many thanks!

Dear Daniel

Thanks for the encouragement.

With metta

S

Comment

Thank you, Ajahn Brahmali, for a tip on how to deal with anger. It's a big Mara, is it not?

Comment

Working...
              X

Debug Information