How attained Is Ajahn Brahm?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Abhishek Venkatesh
    started a topic How attained Is Ajahn Brahm?

How attained Is Ajahn Brahm?

Dear Ajahn Brahmali,

May I know, how attained Ajahn Brahm is? I know that some monks don't entertain these kinds of questions, but I thought that this would be beneficial to know but maybe I'm wrong.

With Metta

• Abhishek Venkatesh
    replied
    Dear Ajahn Brahmali,

Thank You for your patience. I'm very sorry if this question bothered you in some way.

With Metta.

Leave a comment:

• Ajahn Brahmali
    replied
    Dear Abhishek,

I have lived with Ajahn Brahm for over 17 years. That should give you some indication of where I stand. I don't want to say anything outright, however, since I believe such statements have a tendency to backfire.

With metta.

Leave a comment:

• Abhishek Venkatesh
    replied
    Dear Ajahn Brahmali,

Thank You for the reply. I don't think I would believe in you completely, but I felt that I would increase my faith. Thank You for the sutta references. In one of the talks by Ajahn Brahm he mentioned that monks themselves cannot speak of their attainments but another monk can mention that monk's attainment. So I thought that Ajahn Brahm indirectly hinted someone to ask.

With Metta.

Leave a comment:

• Ajahn Brahmali
    replied
    Dear Abhishek,

This is something you will have to consider for yourself. If I tell you what I think, will you simply believe me? It is not advisable to simply believe others. The Buddha recommended to investigate people in respect of their spiritual qualities. Look for anger and greed, particularly anger. If you see that, you know the person cannot be fully awakened. Keep looking over long period of time, since what you see initially may turn out to be false. Have look at the Buddha's recommendations in the Vimamsaka-sutta (MN47) and the Canki-sutta (MN95).

With metta.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X

Debug Information