• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Abhishek Venkatesh
    started a topic On asking questions

On asking questions

Dear Venerable Ajahn Brahmali,

Ajahn Chah recommended that we ask our questions by ourself(or something like this). But I feel that questions on how my mind works are not to be asked since only I can have a look at my mind and answer it, although information on general information on the mind is very beneficial.

Also I feel asking questions which increase our understanding the Buddha's teachings are necessary.

Also the Buddha praised asking questions and indicated that it lead to increase in intelligence.

Can you please shed some more information on this matter? Because it it becoming difficult for me to judge whether to ask a particular kind of question or not.

With Metta.

• Abhishek Venkatesh
    replied
    Thank you for the response, Ajahn Brahmali.

Leave a comment:

• Ajahn Brahmali
    replied
    Dear Abhishek,

You are quite right: questioning is useful and knowing the limit of questions is also useful. I would suggest you first try to resolve any question you may have on your own. If you can find the answer to a question on your own, you will find the answer is much more meaningful and your understanding will grow more quickly. If after reflection, however, you are still uncertain, that may be the right time to ask. It is also useful to ask different people, since this will give you a broader outlook.

There is a sutta where a monk asks what is right time to approach a more senior monk to ask a question. He gets different replies form different people: some say in the morning, some at mid-day, some in the afternoon and some in the evening. But the right answer, according to the Buddha, is that you should ask whenever you have a hindrance in your mind, and you need advice in how to overcome it. Very pragmatic!

With metta.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X

Debug Information