Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY retreat

Dear everyone,

Now I've always been kind of a daredevil but this time I want to go really crazy. I have the wonderful freedom of being single, having a house and some free time coming up by the end of februari. Inspired by a quote of Ajahn Chah I read in a book, I want to do a home-retreat. Isolating myself, no music, no computer, no TV (haven't got it anyway so that's easy haha ), just living life the easy way for a week or so. Just reading the dhamma and practicing meditation and sleeping. I've never been on any kind of meditation retreat before, but I trust myself and the Dhamma enough to do this. I think it will be great. But I can always step out if it is all too much (or too little is a better description maybe. )

Because monks have a lot of experience with this I'd like to know if there is any specific tips that you could give me. For example, is it wise to prepare a schedule for the day or is it better to do what seems appropriate at the time?

Everybody else who has any thoughts be invited to share them.

Love,
    Simon

Hello Simon,

I think it is a great idea to take some time for solitude. Of course, as you say, you can 'step out of it' if things aren't going well. A week of solitude is quite a lot, and I might suggest starting with one day, or one weekend. When I was a lay person I would sometimes spend a Sunday alone in the loft above my parent's garage. It was a nice way to arouse energy. As for scheduling your retreat, that will depend on your own inclinations. Some find schedules to be a good support, others find them too controlling.

So, have some fun however you do it, and if you come to a wall in your practice don't go banging your head against it. :-)

J.R.

Comment

Dear Simon,

It all depends on how much experience you have, but it is often very useful to have a teacher. A teacher can normally help you avoid the sort of intense experiences that you described on another thread. Often a good way to start is to go on a retreat somewhere.

With metta,
      Ajahn Brahmali

Comment

I'm comfortable being alone, but as you've seen in the other thread, I'll take it easy for a while. I posted this before I got the experiences.
        I'll see how I feel about it, but that week I'll probably spend on my studies mostly.

Thanks a lot.

Comment

Working...
        X

Debug Information