Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Taking he Five Precepts

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Taking the Five Precepts Online

You may take Refuge and take the Five Buddhist Precepts anytime right here from this page. Even if you have taken them before you can reaffirm them by going to a private place and chanting along (click play on the audio below). Going for Refuge and taking the Precepts define a person as a practising Buddhist.

Going for Refuge gives a continuous perspective on life by referring to one's conduct and understanding of the qualities of the Buddha (wisdom), Dhamma (truth) and Sangha (virtue). The Precepts are for reflection and to define one's actions as a responsible human being. There is a formal means of requesting Refuge and Precepts from a bhikkhu/bhikkhuni, which is as follows:

https://soundcloud.com/dhammaloka/ta...-five-buddhist

After bowing three times, with hands joined in Anjali, recite the following:

Mayam Bhante/Aye, tisaranena saha panca siilaani yaacaama
    Dutiyampi mayam Bhante/Aye, tisaranena saha panca siilaani yaacaama
    Tatiyampi mayam Bhante/Aye, tisaranena saha panca siilaani yaacaama
    We, Venerable Sir/Madam, request the three Refuges and the Five Precepts.
    For the second time, we, Venerable Sir/Madam, request the three Refuges and the Five Precepts.
    For the third time, we, Venerable Sir/Madam, request the three Refuges and the Five Precepts.
    Namo tassa bhagavato arahato sammaasambuddhassa

Buddham saranam gacchaami
    Dhammam saranam gacchaami
    Sangham saranam gacchaami

Dutiyampi buddham saranam gacchaami
    Dutiyampi dhammam saranam gacchaami
    Dutiyampi sangham saranam gacchaami

Tatiyampi buddham saranam gacchaami
    Tatiyampi dhammam saranam gacchaami
    Tatiyampi sangha"m saranam gacchaami

Leader:
    Tisaranagamanam nitthitam

Response:
    -- Ama Bhante/Aye
    Homage to the Blessed One, the Noble One, the Perfectly Enlightened One.

To the Buddha I go for refuge.
    To the Dhamma I go for refuge.
    To the Sangha I go for refuge.

For the second time, to the Buddha I go for refuge.
    For the second time, to the Dhamma I go for refuge.
    For the second time, to the Sangha I go for refuge.

For the third time, to the Buddha I go for refuge.
    For the third time, to the Dhamma 1 go for refuge.
    For the third time, to the Sangha I go for refuge.

Leader:
    This completes the going to the Three Refuges.

Response:
    -- Yes, Venerable Sir/Madam.

To undertake the precepts, repeat each precept after the leader:

1. Paanaatipaataa veramanii sikkhaapadam samaadiyaami
    2. Adinnaadaanaa veramanii sikkhaapadam samaadiyaami
    3. Kaamesu micchaacaaraa veramanii sikkhaapadam samaadiyaami
    4. Musaavaadaa veramanii sikkhaapadam samaadiyaami
    5. Suraamerayamajjapamaadatthaanaa veramanii sikkhaapadam samaadiyaami

Leader:
    Imaani pańcasikkhaapadaani
    Siilena sugatim yanti
    Siilena bhoga-sampadaa
    Siilena nibbutm yanti
    Tasmaa siilam visodhaye

Response:
    -- Saadhu, saadhu, saadhu
    -(bow three times)-
    1. I undertake the precept to refrain from destroying living creatures.
    2. I undertake the precept to refrain from taking that which is not given.
    3. I undertake the precept to refrain from sexual misconduct.
    4. I undertake the precept to refrain from incorrect speech.
    5. I undertake the precept to refrain from intoxicating liquors and drugs which lead to carelessness.

Leader:

These Five Precepts
    Have morality as a vehicle for happiness,
    Have morality as a vehicle for good fortune,
    Have morality as a vehicle for liberation.
    Let morality therefore be purified.

Response:
    -- Well said, well said, well said!
    -(bow three times)-

Once you have taken the Five Precepts, if you like, (and you're a community member) you may get Sangha acknowledgement online here
    Attached Files
      Posting comments is disabled.

Categories

Collapse

article_tags

Collapse

Latest Articles

Collapse

• Taking the Five Precepts Online
      Bo Schafers
      You may take Refuge and take the Five Buddhist Precepts anytime right here from this page. Even if you have taken them before you can reaffirm them by going to a private place and chanting along (click play on the audio below). Going for Refuge and taking the Precepts define a person as a practising Buddhist.

Going for Refuge gives a continuous perspective on life by referring to one's conduct and understanding of the qualities of the Buddha (wisdom), Dhamma (truth) and Sangha (virtue). The Precepts are for reflection and to define one's actions as a responsible human being. There is a formal means of requesting Refuge and Precepts from a bhikkhu/bhikkhuni, which is as follows:

25th-June-2011, 03:46 PM
    • Developing Mudita
      Rachel Green
      In early January I attended a talk given by Venerable Buddharakkhita. It was a very special evening devoted to a guided meditation and talk on Mudita - sympathetic joy. It is not a topic I have heard spoken of much before so I have written down what I learnt from him. Mudita is one of the 4 Brahma Viharas or Divine Abidings, the others being loving-kindness, compassion and equanimity. These are all powerful antidotes for self-doubt, unfriendliness, cruelty and unbalanced destructive mind states....
      16th-June-2011, 04:08 PM
    • Buddhism For Sale in the West
      Jerrod Lopes
      Nirbbana For Sale in the West

by Jerrod Lopes

It's been on my mind for some time and the evidence for my case grows stronger. Buddhism is becoming
      25th-May-2011, 02:59 AM
    • Manage Anxiety and Panic with Meditation
      Rachel Green
      One technique for managing anxiety and producing peace and calm is meditation. I have used it very successfully in managing anxiety and have learnt much about how to do it.

Meditation objects can vary and there is no one 'right' object that helps everyone to reduce anxiety. It is important to find the object that best suits you. ...
      27th-April-2011, 07:57 PM
    • Bhikkhuni Ordination Fallout
      Dennis Sheppard
      It is with some regret that I need to report to our members the hardening of attitudes towards us and in particular to Ajahn Brahm by some senior monks from the Wat Pah Pong group, obviously still angry and annoyed over the Bhikkuni ordination in October 2009. I have just re-read my report from last year, and realized that the harmony and forgiveness I was hoping for last year seems still to be a long way away. It feels like things have got worse. Over the past year I feel our committee and our supporters have, in the interest of harmony and peace, suppressed a lot of feelings and words that could have been said, in the hope that the silence would allow these disaffected monks, who are displaying ill will towards Ajahn Brahm, a clear view of what they are doing in order for them to see where they are at. ...
      26th-March-2011, 01:48 PM
    • Dhammaloka Chanting
      Bo Schafers
      Please join -anytime- the Dhammaloka community in Perth Western Australia in their Buddhist chants. These are chanted every Friday night before the mediation and weekly Dhamma talk, however you can chant along anytime! Are you doing a home retreat?

Would you like to pay homage to the Dhamma in the morning, take the 5 Precepts at home or just recite the Metta Sutta before you begin your meditation? Use this recording and its text as it suits you...in your daily Dhamma practice....
      1st-February-2011, 08:56 PM
    Working...
    X