Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Books about Buddhism for Children and Teens

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Books about Buddhism for Children and Teens

One way to help solidify or spark an interest in meditation practice by children is to help teach them about Buddhism and the story of the Buddha. I think that forms a solid basis for showing the benefits of meditation, and also makes it less easy for children to rebel against meditation as "just something weird my mom or dad does." Here are some of my favorites -- all purchased and test-driven at home over the years...
    Click image for larger version

Name:	PriceSid.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	29227 Prince Siddhartha
    This is a lovely retelling of the life story of the Buddha. It is perfectly appropriate for children yet does not gloss over any details some people may find a little squeamish for kids (like his prolonged starvation-ascetic period, the depiction of a funeral procession, etc). To this day my children will still refer to the story about Siddhartha's protection of the swan shot by Devadatta, and I doubt even my 12-year old would object to listening to the book one more time (as long as her younger brother was the one "officially" being read to). I found myself at times having a hard time reading the book to my children as my voice started to crack with emotion during some of the most moving parts. It really helped to spark some good conversations with my children about the dhamma and the path. An easy 10/10 on the "exquisiteness" scale. Details

Name:	OnceMonkey.jpg
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	29228 I Once Was A Monkey
    This is a series of 5 retold Jataka tales skillfully linked together by a story of five animals seeking shelter (refuge!) from a storm in a dark cave. They find that it is an abandoned temple, and a Buddha statue in the corner helps ease their difficult and possibly dangerous situation by retelling the Jataka tales. Incredibly tastefully illustrated and elegantly written (possibly a bit too elegantly for the very young), this is truly a delightful book. I had to simplify some of the more ornate language back when my son was a pre-schooler, but it wasn't hard to do at all "on the fly." Details

Name:	ThreeQuestions.jpg
Size:	9.6 KB
ID:	29233 The Three Questions
    Readers of Ajahn Brahm's book "Who Ordered This Truckload of Dung" (AKA everywhere but in the USA as "Open The Door of Your Heart") will recognize this story, originally told by Tolstoy. "When is the best time to do things? Who is the most important one? What is the right thing to do?" This is good one to sneak into the homes of your non-Buddhist friends, as well, since there's no overt Buddhist content. Details

Name:	Teens.jpg
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	29229 Wide Awake: A Buddhist Guide for Teens
    Bought this one for my daughter, who is 12, and put it in her room but warned her she wasn't old enough to read it yet, not being a teen. I'm quite sure it's been read by now! Details

Name:	Punks.jpg
Size:	17.7 KB
ID:	29230 Dharma Punx
    For older teens and young adults, probably ages 18-25, I would highly recommend "Dharma Punx" by Noah Levine. This is the story of of how the author went from being a drug and alcohol addicted punk rock rage machine with no direction in life despite having a famous meditation teacher for a father, to someone hesitantly taking the first steps (in jail after an arrest) as a last resort before literally giving up on life all together.

He details his spiritual quest, rocky and uneven at first, but then increasingly propelled by a slow unstoppable force, eventually leading to a recovery program and several 3-month insight meditation retreats. He later was encouraged by people such as Ajahn Amaro and Jack Kornfield to finish college, go to grad school and finally start a rigorous 5-year training program to become a meditation teacher at Spirit Rock in California. He still leads an active meditation group in Los Angeles (againsthestream.org). Not for those afraid of tatoos and at times sordid descriptions of the pointlessness of teenage sex and drug use. Details

Name:	Backpack.jpg
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	29231 Buddha in Your Backpack:
    "Everyday Buddhism for Teens" is a good, no-nonsense book for teenagers which doesn't talk down to them. In fact I would say it is a fine book for anyone from 11-99. Details

Name:	moodyCow.jpg
Size:	10.1 KB
ID:	29232 Moody Cow Meditates
    I admit I haven't read or purchased this one. My kids are a bit too old for it, but it really looks like a winner for the age 3-7 set. Details
    And finally, I would like to also recommend Sarah Napthali's series of three books all of whose titles begin with the words Buddhism for Mothers. I've only read one (even though I'm not included in the title -- why not Buddhism for Parents?) but the author seems genuinely a decent person with good advice. Someone recently described parenthood as, "My 18 year retreat." I think that was in one of the blogs on the Tricycle magazine website.

Anyway, I invite anyone with kids, to recommend their own "Kids Dhamma Library" in the forum...

Discuss in Forum
      Posting comments is disabled.

Categories

Collapse

article_tags

Collapse

Latest Articles

Collapse

• Transcendental Dependent Arising
      Ajahn Brahmali
      Transcendental Dependent Arising this may seem like a forbidding expression, but the principles behind it are not so hard to understand. In essence, transcendental dependent arising describes the psychology of meditation, that is, how the process of meditation is experienced, from beginning to end. Transcendental dependent arising is closely related to the well-known Buddhist idea of dependent origination. For those who do not have much familiarity with the teachings of the Buddha, dependent origination is a sequence of twelve factors that are causally connected. The last factor of this chain of causality is suffering. Because it is a chain of causality, it shows you how suffering comes to be. The first of the twelve factors is ignorance or delusion the inability to see the world as it actually is, how it truly functions. So starting with ignorance, one factor leads to the next all the way to suffering. What dependent origination shows you, then, is that suffering is the consequence of ignorance. This is how the Buddha explains why there is s...
      16th-November-2012, 09:29 AM
    • Taking the Five Precepts Online
      Bo Schafers
      You may take Refuge and take the Five Buddhist Precepts anytime right here from this page. Even if you have taken them before you can reaffirm them by going to a private place and chanting along (click play on the audio below). Going for Refuge and taking the Precepts define a person as a practising Buddhist.

Going for Refuge gives a continuous perspective on life by referring to one's conduct and understanding of the qualities of the Buddha (wisdom), Dhamma (truth) and Sangha (virtue). The Precepts are for reflection and to define one's actions as a responsible human being. There is a formal means of requesting Refuge and Precepts from a bhikkhu/bhikkhuni, which is as follows:

25th-June-2011, 03:46 PM
    • Developing Mudita
      Rachel Green
      In early January I attended a talk given by Venerable Buddharakkhita. It was a very special evening devoted to a guided meditation and talk on Mudita - sympathetic joy. It is not a topic I have heard spoken of much before so I have written down what I learnt from him. Mudita is one of the 4 Brahma Viharas or Divine Abidings, the others being loving-kindness, compassion and equanimity. These are all powerful antidotes for self-doubt, unfriendliness, cruelty and unbalanced destructive mind states....
      16th-June-2011, 04:08 PM
    • Buddhism For Sale in the West
      Jerrod Lopes
      Nirbbana For Sale in the West

by Jerrod Lopes

It's been on my mind for some time and the evidence for my case grows stronger. Buddhism is becoming
      25th-May-2011, 02:59 AM
    • Manage Anxiety and Panic with Meditation
      Rachel Green
      One technique for managing anxiety and producing peace and calm is meditation. I have used it very successfully in managing anxiety and have learnt much about how to do it.

Meditation objects can vary and there is no one 'right' object that helps everyone to reduce anxiety. It is important to find the object that best suits you. ...
      27th-April-2011, 07:57 PM
    • Mudita meditation - some guidelines
      Rachel Green
      In early January I attended a talk given by Venerable Buddharakkhita. It was a very special evening devoted to a guided meditation and talk on Mudita - sympathetic joy. It is not a topic I have heard
      27th-April-2011, 06:57 PM
    Working...
    X